Here is the recipe for the sponge cake as used in the Sponge Cake with Passionfruit Icing and Jam and Cream…
Being birthday season in the Sisters’ extended family Julia purchased a packet of Fielders Wheaten Cornflour in case someone decided that they would like a delicious double decker sponge cake as their birthday cake.
Fielders Famous Sponge Cake (as printed on packet)
- 3 eggs, separated
- pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2/3 cup Fielders Cornflour
- 1 slightly rounded tablespoon White Wings Plain Flour
- 1 level teaspoon Aunt Mary’s Baking Powder
- Pre-heat oven 190 deg C conventional/170 deg fanforced. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, a little at a time then continue beating until stiff. Add egg yolks and vanilla essence, beat until combined.
- Sift together 3 times – cornflour, plain flour and baking powder, then add to egg mixture. Carefully and lightly fold mixture through using a wooden spoon or spatula. DO NOT STIR.
- Divide batter between two greased and floured 20 cm round sandwich pans and bake 15 – 20 minutes.
Note: When making a large sponge for a party use one quantity of mixture for each cake and bake in larger tins instead of halving mixture between sandwich pans